Skip to main content

THE DAY GOD FAILED ME..............

It was March 22nd of that year, 2013 i think it was. I had just arrived Lagos from the University on a holiday, my mum was holding my sister, Bukola and feeding her... Hi mum, i said.. she welcomed me with her smile - the most gorgeous ever. She told me my meal was in the kitchen and that my sister wasn't feeling fine. I looked at Bukola and something was wrong- she seemed to be gasping for breath, i told my mum something was wrong and had to inform my dad, which i did. I returned back to collect my sister (who was 18) and held her closely, ok now there was a real problem - her eyes were turning white.. I screamed, my dad came and took her and my mum to the hospital.
I do not think i had prayed as much actually- that day i prayed. I cried, i asked God please don't fail me. At around 11pm, my Dad returned alone, he parked the car, got out and went straight to the toilet to wash his face, hahaha - omo it definitely can't be what i think it is I thought.
He soon came out, Dad how far? I asked. He shook his head and said 'She didn't make it'. I didn't know how to feel. No be wetin me and God been talk be this o.
Later that night, my dad returned with my mum and now deceased sister, my mum still had my sister on her laps. My mum had cried her heart out, you could see it on her face.
Bukola Balogun - the most beautiful lady i have ever seen. No, ask anyone who did know her. I was extremely jealous of her beauty. We would be walking together as kids and everyone would say "you are so beautiful" and I'll think "me unko" - that's like one of the few memories i have from childhood.
Bukola was ill. She had been for a looooong time. At about age 3 she suffered a seizure during a church service, pastor took her to his office and without informing us, had her taken to a hospital owned by a church member... before we got there to see what's up, she had been injected by a nurse, an error by them that caused her an acquired brain injury leading to her being paralysed on one side and left unable to speak or do anything till she passed on at 18.
During those years, wetin my mama no do? She suspended having other kids cos how would she cope. She visited every region in this country. We visited almost every top G.O, name them... nothing. We did Imams, at one time my mum went to live under a rock in Abuja and Abeokuta ontop looking for a miracle. Mum, thank you for never giving up on Bukola.
So back to that March 22 incident, I believed for a while that God failed me that day. By April 22nd the following year, my dad was dead. So from being a family of 4, we became 2 and to be honest i was scared. If anything happens, means only one person will be left. Ha! Omo.
But we thank God we do not look like what we've been through o. Thank God i now understand that God sees what we do not. I now understand that God is God regardless of what happens to us. Let God be right, let us all be wrong. He isn't God because he does want we want, he is God because we do what he wants.
I am grateful to God for my mum. I'll not have it any other way.... this is 2022 and I know this isn't her wish but I'll like her to find love again. She deserves all the happiness in this world. So i ask, Mum, you no wan marry again?

Comments